The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler is a firm favourite in our household. And we’re not alone. The best-selling book and brand is a global success – it’s sold over 3.5 million copies, and spawned an Oscar-nominated animation. And, unbelievably, has been around for 15 years!
When D and I visit the local woods, we often pretend that we are searching for the gruffalo and the clever little mouse – and we’ve had a lot of fun hiding behind trees and scrabbling behind bushes.
So, when a friend mentioned that the Forestry Commission is running special Gruffalo-themed event to celebrate its 15th birthday, I wanted to share… as I know loads of you out there will want join in the fun.
- The Gruffalo activity trails will feature across 28 forests in England, until the end of September.
- In October, The Gruffalo’s Child activity trails will then take over and will stay in the forest right through the winter until February 2015.
- Characters from the stories will lead children through the trees with adventure and intrigue, learning about woods and forests as they go.
- From 15 June, giant wooden sculptures of one of the world’s best-loved monsters himself will be hidden in forests across England, for families to track down.
- Visitors are also invited to gather in their local forest with family and friends on Saturday 7 June to celebrate The Gruffalo’s anniversary with a big birthday forest picnic!
Alice Holt Forest, Surrey
Bolderwood, New Forest
Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest, Kent
High Lodge, Thetford Forest, Suffolk
Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire
Jeskyns, Gravesend, Kent
Birches Valley Forest, Cannock Chase
Delamere Forest, Cheshire
Hicks Lodge, Derbyshire
Sherwood Pines, Nottinghamshire
Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire
Top Lodge, Fineshade
Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean
Haldon Forest Park, Exeter, Devon
Cardinham Woods, Bodmin, Cornwall
Wyre Forest, Worcestershire
Westonbirt, the National Arboretum, Gloucestershire
Dalby Forest, Yorkshire
Guisborough Forest, North Yorkshire
Whinlatter Forest, Nr Keswick, Cumbria
Hamsterley Forest, Country Durham
Kielder Water and Forest Park, Northumberland
Grizedale Forest, Nr Hawkshead, Cumbria
Camping in the Forest site: Ashurst
Camping in the Forest site: Ocknell & Longbeech
Camping in the Forest site: Holmsley
Camping in the Forest site: Roundhill
Camping in the Forest site: Hollands Wood
See you there xCopyright© 1999 & TM Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler. Licensed by Magic Light Pictures Ltd.